スキップしてメイン コンテンツに移動

Ameria Bedelia's Family Album

“We want to have a party for you. We want to meet your family. ”
“Now that is nice,” said Amelia Bedelia. “Who would you like to invite?” asked Mrs. Rogers. (p. 5).
Mr and Mrs. Rogers want to have a party for their houseworker, Amelia Bedelia. Amelia is glad to hear that and then she shows her family album to choose guests. Amelia introduces her family looking the pictures. Mr and Mrs. Rogers seem to understand Amelia’s introduction, but actually, they misunderstand until Amelia gives more information to them.
I like Amelia’s introduction because in the sentence, there are many funny expression. Amelia’s introduction makes a play on words. For example…
“This is my daddy” said Amelia Bedelia. “He is a telephone operator.”
“Then he helps people make calls,” said Mr. Rogers. (p. 7).
And then…
He does not!” said Amelia Bedelia. “He operates on telephones.”
“I see,” said Mr Rogers. (p. 8).
This is the first play on words. After reading this one, I laughed and thought it is like Japanese  pun.  Family member is 17, so I read 17 plays on words. I really enjoyed all of them and would like to tell one of the funniest plays on words.
“This is Cousin Calvin,” said Amelia Bedelia. “He is a boxer.”
“Does he win any matches?” asked Mrs. Rogers. (p. 15).
Can you imagine after this scene? Is he a boxer? The answer is…
“Why would he win matches? A boxer packs boxes. He gets paid money.” (p. 16).
He is a real boxer!! but he isn’t an athlete.  I didn’t expect this answer, I really laughed this scene. All of plays on words are interesting, so I think all readers can find their favorite plays on words. Readers can laugh Amelia’s introduction and learn about pun. Pun is one of the good way to learn language, I think. This book is funny and good text for language learners.
Parish, P. (1988). Amelia Bedelia’s Family Album. New York, USA: I can

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Introduce myself and about a book

Hi,everyone, I'm Mako K. I'm from Japan, Kagoshima. I like reading,watching movies,and playing with animal especially dogs. If you have some questions about Kagoshima,please ask me anything.   Today I read "The Wish Fish". It was easier than other books I have ever read,but I like the story. A wife and a husband living near the sea. so they fishing everyday,and they are satisfired. one day, husband fished a magical fish...

The jungle book

Mowgli was born in the jungle. His parents went to the jungle with Mowgli to play. At that time, a bad tiger ,Shere Karn attacked the family and his parents escaped without mowgli. So he is alone in the big jungle. A good wolf, Akela, he helped Mowgli and he decided to grow him. There are a black tger, Begheera and a bear, Baloo. They are tought Mowgli to live in the jungle. Sometimes many monkeys attacked the group but Akela protect his family all the time. Kipling,Rudyard.(1967). The jungle book .Oxford Bookworms Libraly

The adventures of Tom Sawyer

       "We have wrriten our promise in blood", said Tom. "Now, we can't tell anybody. Let's go!"  (p,32)             I knew the story because it's very famous book in the world, but I have never read this book in japanese. So I choice this book.       Tom is a boy who likes mischef. He is a famous boy in his town because he make mischief every day and the adults have difficult.      He is crazy about to built a house to his friend, Huck. He has no house to live in.       Someday, Tom and Huck goes to graveyard. They saw a murder case and the criminal was escape. The criminal left many gold so Huck found it.       Because of it, Huck got a family.  Twain,Mark.(1876). The adventures of Tom Sawyer .Macmillan Readers.