スキップしてメイン コンテンツに移動

California


Americans call California ‘The Golden State’. And it’s true that people once came to look for gold and silver in the mountains. Now they come to see the great cities, the big parks, the beautiful desert, the wonderful coast of Big Sur, or to enjoy Disneyland. (p. 1).
This book is about California. Readers can learn about San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and so on. Thorough the story, readers can understand history, nature, and cities in California.
The most surprising story for me is the earthquake in San Francisco. Before reading, I thought an earthquake is rare in America. However, it is not true.
At 5. 13 a.m. on April 18, 1906, here was a terrible earthquake in San Francisco. The earthquake destroyed about 5000 buildings immediately. (p. 4)
What a terrible thing! I can’t imagine how terrible scene in San Francisco at that time. People in San Francisco might have been sad, if I were them, I couldn’t overcome so easily. How can we overcome such terrible experience? However, people raised to overcome the difficulties.
In 1989, when there was another earthquake in the city, only eleven people died and 1800 lost their homes. (p. 4)

 I think people in Kumamoto should overcome difficulties like them.
If I didn’t read this book, I wouldn’t know the earthquake in San Francisco and get a sense of affinity. I learned that finding something in common between foreign countries is connected to understanding cross-cultural understanding. Studying history through the book is one of the useful way to learn.  I really recommend to read.
Escott, J. (2000). California. London, UK: Oxford University Press.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Princess Diaries

"My name is Mia Thermopolis and this is my diary." (p. 8). This book is the second story of The Princess Diaries series. Mia is an ordinary New York girl until a month ago. Actually she is a Princess of Genovia! The second story is one month later first story. She started new life as Princess of Genovia but it’s not easy. Mia’s mother, Helen is marrying Mia’s Algebra teacher. Furthermore, she received love letters from a secret admirer. I got your letter. Thank you very much. Who are you? I won’t tell anyone. Please tell me. I’ll keep your secret. (p. 22). She asked his name many times by replay. However, he didn’t tell his name. His name was answered in the last part of the story.And Mia’s mother is going to have a baby. Mia’s going to be a big sister. She was really worried about her mother. Because of her worry, she made terrible mistake! The second story is funny as well as the first story. Mia is a ordinary teenager but she is a princess. Her life seems to be

The jungle book

Mowgli was born in the jungle. His parents went to the jungle with Mowgli to play. At that time, a bad tiger ,Shere Karn attacked the family and his parents escaped without mowgli. So he is alone in the big jungle. A good wolf, Akela, he helped Mowgli and he decided to grow him. There are a black tger, Begheera and a bear, Baloo. They are tought Mowgli to live in the jungle. Sometimes many monkeys attacked the group but Akela protect his family all the time. Kipling,Rudyard.(1967). The jungle book .Oxford Bookworms Libraly

Introduce myself and about a book

Hi,everyone, I'm Mako K. I'm from Japan, Kagoshima. I like reading,watching movies,and playing with animal especially dogs. If you have some questions about Kagoshima,please ask me anything.   Today I read "The Wish Fish". It was easier than other books I have ever read,but I like the story. A wife and a husband living near the sea. so they fishing everyday,and they are satisfired. one day, husband fished a magical fish...